Hayao Miyazaki to announce shock retirement?
- By Smith Alexander
- Tokyo
- Last updated on
Hot news
- Movie News May 21, 2026
- Hot May 20, 2026
- Rumor Central May 2026
Sad news for Miyazaki fans. Speculation had been rife that the Japanese director best known for the movie The Boy and the Heron, will announce his retirement from all public activities, at age 85, with immediate effect.
UPDATE 21/05/2026 : This story seems to be false. (read more)
Being a director isn't fun anymore
“As we get older, there are phases of life that we enter into, and being a director just isn't fun anymore,” he might have said, says a source who remained anonymous. Other reports hinted that he may branch out into other creative fields he is better at (and more interested in), though they didn't provide any details.
#ThankYouHayao
For a little while on Wednesday evening, #ThankYouHayao was a trending hashtag on Twitter. As many fans reminisce and look back on all the unforgettable memories, some may wonder what about now made him make the decision.
“You’ve accomplished everything I ever dreamed of #ThankYouHayao.”
— @DesireePlum, 20 May 2026
“Miyazaki wasn't retired?”
— @borisB0, 20 May 2026
© 2026 MediaMass All rights reserved. Do not reproduce (even with permission).
Hayao Miyazaki: Recent News
- Babies May 19, 2026
- Pets May 15, 2026
- Love May 17, 2026
Celebrity Central